GSOC: Port PUFFS from NetBSD/FreeBSD

Nick Prokharau nickprok at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 23:36:40 PDT 2011

GSOC: Port PUFFS from NetBSD/FreeBSD

Hello,

My project is about bringing user space file systems to DragonFlyBSD.
I will port PUFFS and FUSE compatibility wrapper - librefuse. Aim is
to implement all file operations including mmap and enable caching in
PUFFS driver (disabled in FreeBSD).
PUFFS docs: http://www.netbsd.org/docs/puffs/

There are native PUFFS implementation for NetBSD and incomplete port
for FreeBSD available. I'm going to use FreeBSD port as additional
source of information. PUFFS implements an as-simple-as-possible
translation to kernel VFS API. I'm going to follow it and introduce
set of new DragonFlyBSD specific VOP_N* calls, and extend librefuse to
use new API. Porting PUFFS may be considered a first step in adding
support for file systems as user space servers
(http://www.netbsd.org/docs/puffs/rump.html).

Nick