No subject

Unknown Unknown
Wed Sep 29 13:23:47 PDT 2010

berwaffe.com> <4ca38a03$0$923$415eb37d at crater_reader.dragonflybsd.org>
From: Chris Turner <c.turner at 199technologies.org>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on Quotas
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 16:21:01 -0400
BestServHost: crater.dragonflybsd.org
Sender: kernel-errors at crater.dragonflybsd.org

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 08:48:35PM +0200, Rumko wrote:
> If the user wants transparent history and snapshots which are made
> automatically in the bg, then the user has to pay the price. If the user
> doesn't care about that, then his dir can be nohistory and then the quota
> system can only count the current dataset, since there is no historical data
> for that user.

This neglects the case where the user wants snapshots
but doesn't want to track their historical use, etc.

Which I'd think would be a fairly common case -

applying it to traditional backups -
how many shops have a backup policy that says:

"you can keep 10G of storage, and we make weekly full backups,
and daily incrementals, but only if your daily incremental changes
are < 40% of your total storage"

instead of:

"you can keep 10G of storage, and we make weekly full backups,
and daily incrementals"

Probably very few - and I'd think the same type of scenario
would apply for hammer quota / retention specs..

Whatever is implemented needs to be flexible enough
for the various scenarios of:

 - current user/system hard/soft quota (possibly 'group' as well)
 - historical user/system hard/soft quota (possibly 'group' as well)
 - user/group/admin managed retention & pruning
   (in some capacity or the other - even if just
    users being able to check usage / clean old snaps)

If theres a way to do that, unless I'm mistaken,
most of the useful and varied possibilities are covered.

- Chris