Memory leak?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Sep 5 10:09:22 PDT 2010

:> I just checked the memory status of my new Dragonfly-based server.
:>
:> 38 processes: 38 running
:> 95653tates:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.8% interrupt, 99.2% idle
:> Memory: 6598M Active, 3152M Inact, 1628M Wired, 186M Cache, 399M Buf, 283M Free
:
:Warning: pmap_interlock 0xfffffffe638e0ee0 0001000d
:
:I am wondering about the pmap_interlock warning...
:
:Many thanks,
:Damian

   You can ignore the pmap_interlock messages, those are just debug
   messages that we haven't removed yet.

   Insofar as I can tell, your system is not leaking any memory.  There
   is simply no memory pressure so the VM system isn't trying very hard
   to move stuff out of the active VM page queue and into the inactive
   queue.

   The memory is simply being used to cache files.  It's basically free...
   the system will throw away bits and pieces of the cache when
   applications need to allocate memory.

   Generally speaking you can tell whether your memory is being abused
   by observing excessive paging activity to and from swap space (that is,
   when the swapcache feature isn't being used with a SSD).  Your swap is
   essentially unused so there's definitely no memory abuse going on.

					<dillon at backplane.com>