pkgsrc and 2.8

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Tue Oct 19 13:50:03 PDT 2010

On Tue, October 19, 2010 1:31 pm, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     I disagree.  The reason why BSD's are marginal platforms relative to
>     third party software is because third party software is developed for
>     linux and not for the BSDs, and despite the configure-from-hell that
>     they all use they still have a lot of linuxisms and make strange
>     assumptions when the system isn't linux.

What Hasso means, I think, is that when people have fixes for software to
make it run on a BSD platform, it makes it as far as the ports/pkgsrc
platform, and the original software authors never see it, and never adjust
their software to run on !Linux.

If all the patches in pkgsrc made it out to the original code for the
10,000+ software packages in pkgsrc, there's be a much clearer BSD
presence in the world.