buildworld issue

Chris Turner c.turner at 199technologies.org
Tue Oct 19 14:03:09 PDT 2010

Sandip Jadhav wrote:
i am using laptop with amd 64 bit dual core processor with
virtualization extension and 2 GB of Memory.
Are you 100% that the VT is being used?

IIRC kvm used a modified qemu that had a switch or something
to actually *use* the VT.. cant recall though - it's been
a while..
buildworld in the 2.0 days used to take ~8h on a amd k6-II 266
I had lying around - so I'd think it should be faster on this
in VT
also- if you're not attached to having both gcc4.4 and gcc4.1
on your box, you can set
NO_GCC44=       true    # do not build gcc-4.4

in your /etc/make.conf

which should speed things up a good amount