dloader and autoboot_delay count down

YONETANI Tomokazu qhwt.dfly at les.ath.cx
Mon Oct 18 18:25:40 PDT 2010

Hello.
With dloader, one of my DragonFly box no longer waits 10 seconds before
it starts the kernel.  At first it prints

  Booting [kernel] in 10 seconds...

but the next number is not 9 but some negative number with 4 or 5 digits.
I suspected that the CMOS battery is worn out, because it's a 5-year old
ASRock main board, but after trying more than 10 boots each for 2.6.3
and -DEVELOPMENT from yesterday (I used the official live img files, so
I doubt it's a compile problem on my side), I started to think that it's
not the battery, but it's something to do with the boot loader.  This is
the only PC that has the problem though, and other PCs boot just fine.

I also added some printf's around autoboot() and installed it to the
hard drive in this PC, and found that the negative number is actually
caused by occasional odd values returned by time(); it mostly increases
by one, but sometimes much larger values is returned, then back to the
original series.

The old boot loader loads the default kernel before entering the menu,
which takes several seconds, so I tried adding a delay(10 * 1000000)
just before calling autoboot(), but the time still leaps.

I'm out of idea and welcome any suggestions.

Best Regards.