pkgsrc and 2.8

Hasso Tepper hasso at estpak.ee
Tue Oct 19 04:21:23 PDT 2010

On 18.10.10 8:45, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> Of course, the idea is to get everything into pkgsrc proper but having
> a local branch will give us the ability to consolidate and maintain
> patches that haven't yet gotten to pkgsrc proper.

The idea shouldn't be to get everything into pkgsrc proper, but to get
changes into upstreams proper. In fact I personally think that the ease
of committing local patches into the pkgsrc/ports/etc trees is the main
factor why BSD's are so marginal platforms in the eyes of the developers
of third party software.

Really, I mean it.

--
Hasso Tepper