linux emulation update

Alex Hornung ahornung at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 02:22:45 PST 2010

: Nifty! what exactly does the update update to - took a quick scan of
: the LTP website and it didn't exactly say anything about what
: specifically it tests against.. that I could see..

LTP basically tests against all currently implemented syscalls (up to about
2.6.20something). I mostly bothered implementing syscalls <= 2.6.17, leaving
out a bunch, but also adding more recent syscalls (2.6.26, ...), mainly
because the gentoo base I downloaded relies on them.

It is far from full linux compatibility, but that is not the realistic aim
anyways; just being able to run most common linux binaries is enough.

So far I've tested the linux emulation layer with java and apache tomcat,
and it seems to work correctly; except for one nasty panic that crops up
after shutting tomcat down a few times (related to sys_linux_exit_group and
vm_map_stack_grow, it seems); I'm working on that currently. Apart from
that, I haven't seen any other panics, so it should be fairly stable once
this issue is addressed.

Cheers,
Alex Hornung