Port DragonFly to Xen platform

Chris Turner c.turner at 199technologies.org
Mon Mar 22 19:22:48 PDT 2010

Sylvestre Gallon wrote:
I'm writing about the google summer of code 2010. Indeed, I would be
very interested in being a part of it and would love to be involved in
the xen project.
Idea w/r/t virtualization -

Wouldn't it be way cooler if dragonfly had it's own KVM-like
implementaiton that was implemented in a vkernel-like fashion?

started digging around in the VT-x instruction set a while back,
didn't get anywhere (Aach time!) - with the goal of writing a kernel
module that added a syscall that added 2 numbers in a separate
virtual machine..

which could then form the basis of bootstrapping further..

seems to me like the VMspace API could be remapped to work against
the virtual machine instructions with not too much glue-code + ASM
stubs..
etc, etc...

rather than supporting xen, which seems to be a much more complicated
integration..
this is all highly speculative, however..

hmm.

</2c>