kernel work week of 3-Feb-2010 HEADS UP

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Feb 4 18:19:44 PST 2010

:All flash media (SSDs, CF cards, USB sticks) use wear-leveling
:techniques that aim to distribute the number of write cycles
:evenly over all cells.  Here are two nice papers from Corsair
:and Micron:
:
:http://www.corsair.com/_faq/FAQ_flash_drive_wear_leveling.pdf
:
:http://download.micron.com/pdf/technotes/nand/tn2942_nand_wear_leveling.pdf
:
:When you google for "flash wear leveling", you get a bunch of
:other interesting hits, including papers from Samsung, Kingston,
:Spansion and others.  Most wear-leveling implementatios are
:optimized for mostly linear writes, which is the reason that
:special flash file systems exist (e.g. in Linux and Solaris).

    Very very interesting.

    So now the question is whether OCZ and Intel implement
    static wear leveling or not.  My presumption is they
    must, but I can't find a definitive document on the
    issue.