I/O errors on Hammer volume

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Tue Apr 13 23:33:25 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:56:29PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :It took almost 2 hours to run but found no errors.
> :There was only a few "Debug: pmap_interlock 00010003" lines in dmesg output.
> :
> :>     But beyond that, think back about things you might have done
> :>     in the past that is outside the norm for HAMMER operations
> :>     that might have caused the problem, such as add or remove
> :>     a volume or adjust the disklabel or something like that.
> :
> :Nothing so extreme.
> :
> :I have updated the system to the latest 2.6 a few days ago. I think the
> :previous version didn't have the new REDO code.
> :
> :I also briefly ran a DragonFly-2.6/x86-64 test installation from another disk
> :and used the existing 500GB drive /home PFS. The error messages appeared the
> :following day.
> :
> :--
> :Francois Tigeot
>
>     Hmm.  Maybe there is an issue with 64-bit vs 32-bit use of the same
>     HAMMER filesystem.  That hasn't been tested well at all, though
>     theoretically it should work just fine.
>
>     I think what I need is a full 'hammer -f <device> show' dump of the
>     filesystem.  It will be large, but it should be able to bzip2
>     reasonably well.  If you can upload that to leaf I can take a look
>     at it.

I'm not able to create a complete dump:

# hammer -f /dev/da0s1d show > hammer-show.dump
Assertion failed: (layer2->zone == zone), function blockmap_lookup, file /usr/src/sbin/hammer/blockmap.c, line 104.
[2]    11070 abort (core dumped)  hammer -f /dev/da0s1d show > hammer-show.dump

>     I also need a list of (a few of the) broken filenames that
>     I can track down, including their inode numbers (ls -lia).

I can't get their inode numbers either:

# ls -lia iconv.dir
ls: iconv.dir: Input/output error

--