Signal 11 and the amd64 port

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Mon Sep 21 13:32:37 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:37:54PM +0300, Jordan Gordeev wrote:
> Francois Tigeot wrote:
>
> >I just installed a new DragonFly/amd64 system on a blank disk. Most of the
> >basic applications (base system, non-graphic packages) work fine.
> >
> >While building applications from pkgsrc, I noticed many crashes of make(1)
> >with signal 11s. Nevertheless, I was able to install most of the programs I
> >wanted.
> >
> >Things took a turn for the worse when I tried to run X11. None of the
> >window
> >managers I tested could run. They all crashed with signal 11s.
> >The only application I was able to run under X is xterm. All others I could
> >test crashed immediately after launch.
> >
> X support for the amd64 port was added just a few days ago and nobody
> has put the effort yet to make it work well.

I also got crashes in console applications.

> From my very limited testing, xdm and twm seem to work, while e16 crashes.

Wmaker and xfwm4 also crash. Xterm is fine.

> What can you do? You can compile everything with debugging information
> and obtain core files of the crashing apps. Then you can (try to)
> analyse the core files with gdb.
> To compile the base system with full debugging information you put the
> following in /etc/make.conf:
>    CFLAGS+=-g
>    STRIP=
> To build pkgsrc packages with full debugging information you put the
> following into /usr/pkg/etc/mk.conf:
>    CFLAGS+=-g
>    INSTALL_UNSTRIPPED=yes
> You can also use ktrace in your debugging.

Thanks. I will change the flags and recompile everything.

In the meantime, this is the end of my amd64 dmesg:

[...]
Mounting devfs
seg-fault accessing address 0x8400000 rip=0x8017e5ae4 pid=836 p_comm=wmaker pid 836 (wmaker), uid 1000: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
seg-fault accessing address 0x8400000 rip=0x8017e5ae4 pid=835 p_comm=wmaker pid 835 (wmaker), uid 1000: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
seg-fault accessing address 0x5f0000 rip=0x800c1f37d pid=933 p_comm=mutt pid 933 (mutt), uid 1000: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
seg-fault accessing address 0x5b0000 rip=0x80243d37d pid=969 p_comm=seamonkey-bin
pid 969 (seamonkey-bin), uid 1000: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

--
Francois Tigeot