DoxyGen Style Kernel API reference.

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Tue Sep 8 10:41:13 PDT 2009

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    I've looked at the web site and I do like the concept.  I think we
    could incorporate Doxygen elements in the kernel code as an
    augmentation of our section 9 manual pages.

    To be clear, I'm talking about this style of documentation:

    /**
     * Short descript.  Longer description ....
     * ...
     *
     * @param arg1 description
     * ...
     * @return description
     *
     */
    I don't think we need to impose any major formalities, it can be
    as simple as a one-liner.  In otherwords, however little or much
    the programmer wants to throw in there would be fine, at least as
    long as it doesn't get past 15 lines or so :-).
    There are some practical issues, however.  When I built doxygen
    from pkgsrc it brought in a ridiculous number of packages, including
    ghostscript.
    I wonder... could we just write our own source code parser that is
    compatible with a subset of Doxygen formatting conventions and generate
    the HTML and MAN templates ourselves?  Without using the actual doxygen
    package?
I think it is okay to use the pkgsrc package on those systems where
developers want to generate the documentation.  Not everybody will need
to generate it, not even all developers.

cheers
  simon
--
  <3 the future  +++  RENT this banner advert  +++   ASCII Ribbon   /"\
  rock the past  +++  space for low CHF NOW!1  +++     Campaign     \ /