DoxyGen Style Kernel API reference.

Erik Wikström Erik-wikstrom at telia.com
Fri Sep 4 10:43:57 PDT 2009

On 2009-09-04 11:15, Sascha Wildner wrote:
> Brian Gianforcaro schrieb:
>> If you could just let me know any of the pro's/con's you see and what your vote would be.
>
> In the doxygen scenario, who would actually _write_ the documentation?
> The same people who don't write or adjust the man9 manpages right now? :)
>
> Note, that this is not meant as offense or complain to any developer.
> People don't like writing documentation, have no time, forget about it,
> coding is more important and fun etc. etc. No real problem with me, it's
> the usual way of things.
>
> I just that I don't see how a different format, way of presentation etc.
> would help with this fundamental issue, so all in all, I don't feel too
> enthusiastic about the idea.

An advantage with doxygen like documentation is that the documentation
is in the code together with the code, the man-pages are separate files
that have to be opened and edited separately. This makes it much easier
to just update the comments while updating the code, with man-pages you
have to open a totally different file and use (to me at least) obscure
formatting.

But I do agree with you that it would probably not be well updated, I
know that I myself forget to update comments from time to time,
especially doxygen-comments.

--
Erik Wikström