Asus P5A - time still runs too fast

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Oct 17 13:44:31 PDT 2009

:Hi,
:
:I run Dragonfly on an Asus P5A mainboard; my clock was running a lot faster
:than expected, it appeared to be this problem:
:
:http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/bugs/2007-04/msg00037.html
:
:all over again.
:
:Setting debug.acpi.disabled=timer in loader.conf seems to have solved the
:problem, as it did in that thread; would it be reasonable to force the
:use of the i8254 timer on P5A and P5A-B mainboards?

    This sounds like a BIOS/ASL issue if the ACPI timer frequency is
    being misdetected.  The best thing to do is just what you did.

:Also, the recommended solution on FreeBSD on this board is to use the
:Time Stamp Counter. Is there any reason dfly doesn't support/detect
:the TSC on this machine?
:
:Thanks,
:-- vs

    The TSC is not a reliable realtime clock.

					<dillon at backplane.com>