HAMMER version 4 work in progress (NOT for production systems)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Nov 3 08:44:21 PST 2009

:Matthew Dillon wrote:
:
:>     the only real way to test it is by pulling the SATA cable out of the
:>     drive during heavy disk I/O (do NOT pull the power on a drive), or
:
:Matt,
:
:What thoughts in re pulling the (only) cable on a FW or USB-attached drive?
:(as it seesm both easier and 'safer' w/r access and/or other-than-fs damage)
:
:Bill

    It is fairly safe w/ the AHCI driver or the SILI driver.  It is not
    safe with the NATA driver.  It may or may not be safe w/ the firewire
    driver.  It all depends on whether the driver properly aborts any
    in-progress I/Os or not, and whether the filesystem then does the
    right thing with the error condition.

					<dillon at backplane.com>