HEADS UP: License for Open Group test suites

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Wed May 27 19:03:42 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 11:47 am, Stathis Kamperis wrote:
> Greetings to everyone.
>
> As you probably already know I'm working on POSIX conformance for this
> year's Google summer of code. For this purpose I have contacted The
> Open Group organization to get access to their test suites. I have
> uploaded[1] their licenses so that others can review them and
> highlight possible caveats.

Verify immediately that you can share the results of the tests with Google
and your mentor as part of the Summer of Code work.  Your deliverables for
Summer of Code will be your code changes to reach conformance, so Google
doesn't _have_ to see it, but without it, it's hard to tell how much
improvement in conformance your changes deliver.

Section 4 assigns the Open Group any copyright in the data you provide
back to them; ask if this includes any DragonFly code (your code, or the
code of others) shown to them as part of the work.  At the very least,
this would change the licensing data we would have to display.

If you can, find out the proper language we can use to describe how we
performed on tests.  If later on we're describing the different Summer of
Code tests we've done for 2009, can we say "... was tested against IEEE
Std 1003.1, 2004 Edition with x% compliance" ?  We're not planning to
advertise using the Open Group as an inadvertent endorser, which is what
they are trying to avoid, so there may be a middle ground.

I can't think of anything else based on this; if the representative can
clarify what you would be restricted from sharing and it won't interfere
with the goal (passing Summer of Code), then you are all set.  I'm glad
the provide licensing like this for open source projects.