human-readable dmesg

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Fri May 22 16:43:01 PDT 2009

Alexander Polakov schrieb:
That looks pretty good but I wonder if the module could simply be
modified to use the pcidevs_data.h that already exists in
/usr/src/sys/bus/pci
Then we need to update pcidevs, don't we? I got this from NetBSD and
fixed it, so GENERIC compiles fine.
Hmm,

are we talking about duplicating the purpose of 'pciconf -lv' command in
the kernel here? IMHO we shouldn't have the kernel's pcidevs file
include every device under the sun just to get pretty dmesgs. Who will
maintain it in the future?

Also, we can't simply copy NetBSD's pcidevs file over ours since the
names constructed from it are used by the kernel source and there are
likely different PCI IDs for the same names somewhere as well as entries
in our file which NetBSD doesn't have.

Regards,
Sascha
--