vproc memory monitoring

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Tue Jun 9 06:36:40 PDT 2009

Pablo Graubner wrote:
Hi folks,

I am working on additional security mechanisms for the dragonfly vkernel
and I want to monitor all in-memory copies (like intel asm "mov" and its
derivates) of a running vproc in order to check if the vproc is allowed
to copy data to the resp. memory segment.
You would have to single-step every instruction.  In this case I guess you can even emulate the CPU and be faster.

Now if you have a way to check whether a process is allowed to perform a certain memory operation, then can't you simply use the page table and let the CPU do the checking job?

cheers
 simon