AHCI driver progress report - hot-swap PM and parallel probe!

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Jun 13 14:46:46 PDT 2009

    The hot-swap Port Multiplier support should now be quite solid.
    I fixed numerous issues with device signature probing and other
    things and so far I can pop in and pop out drives either direct-attached
    or in a PM enclosure without freaking the driver out.

    In addition to probing the SATA ports more quickly, the AHCI driver
    now also probes *ALL* of the physical SATA ports in parallel.  Needless
    to say, this really improves attach times during boot.  If you have
    multiple PM (port multiplier) enclosures (not that I think anyone does),
    but if you do, the individual targets in the enclosure have to be
    probed sequentially, but all the enclosures will be probed in parallel.

    --

    I would like to stick the AHCI driver into GENERIC and go with it for
    the release.  The only sticking point is that people who update and who