ABI/API soft freeze reminder

Hasso Tepper hasso at estpak.ee
Tue Jun 2 12:17:41 PDT 2009

Matthew Dillon wrote:
> Hasso, do you think it would be good to switch to the new quarterly
> as well?  I currently have 2.3.x softlinked to 2008Q4.  I'd like to
> change it over to 2009Q1 (once we get it built on avalon) as well as
> use 2009Q1 for 2.4.

I don't think that 2008q4 build (which is done probably before 2.3) works
at all with 2.3.x because of libc major version bump. All current
releases including 2009q1 have probably too many failures (including
major ones like all mozilla products) on 2.3.x after Studbolts' megapush.

We should use 2009q2 (which will be released somewhere in the end of June
hopefully, so before the 2.4 release) for 2.4.

In short, I try (really, only try ;) to make sure that our release in
January works reasonably with q4 and q1 and a release in July with q2 and
q3. Master users are on their own and should use pkgsrc HEAD.

--
Hasso Tepper