New year, new site, new wiki

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Wed Jan 7 07:45:14 PST 2009

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> On Wed, January 7, 2009 12:34 am, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>
>>    Editing is still an issue.  I like the idea of confirmed DragonFly
>>    developers being allowed to edit the site via the web, if that is
>>    possible.  We will probably have to split the docs section into
>>    a freeform section and a locked section that only confirmed developers
>>    can edit.
>
> All the pages can be edited by anyone with commit access.

I think Matt thinks of people editing the main web site via the browser and not exclusively via git.  I second this - I'm way more reluctant to get a shell out and hack wiki syntax into a text file and commit and push and whatnot versus clicking on a button and changing the text directly in the browser.

> Web editing is
> right now limited to /docs/*.  Everything that's in docs/ now is material
> from the wiki, so we're not "exposing" anything new.  (you can write
> "PageSpecs" that specify what can and can't be edited.)
>
> The login for editing via the web is separate from developer logins; it
> uses its own system or OpenID (http://openid.net) to handle logins.  There
> is a separate plugin that can use checkpassword (or potentially
> checkpassword-pam, now that Peter's committed so much PAM work) to
> DragonFly) to authenticate against existing accounts on the machine, which
> would make having a leaf account the barrier to entry.  We'd want to set
> up https, though, and I don't really like the machine logins flying about
> over the net, even over https.

Users on leaf don't have passwords.  We'd have to find a different way to do it.

cheers
  simon