Google Summer of Code 2009

Michel Salim michel.sylvan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 13:53:18 PST 2009

Hi Matthias,

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Matthias Schmidt
<matthias at dragonflybsd.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I created a first page on the web site and added some links to last
> years sites.  Stay tuned for more ...
>
>        http://www.dragonflybsd.org/gsoc2009/

Coming from Linux, especially Fedora, I find your project proposal
interesting. I'm looking at Collin Percival's instructions for using
freebsd-update, and it looks to be a rather manual process. Is the
project you have in mind something in keeping with the original tool,
or would you be interested in a more automated, Linux-esque upgrade
procedure?

I am thinking of the following features:
- specification files, similar to Portfiles, specifying which files
belong to which program, which configuration files should be replaced
by default (modifications automatically backed up), and which
configuration files should be kept (with new file stored with some
predetermined suffix)
- using Hammer snapshots to save the old installation image, ala OpenSolaris

Thanks,

--
miʃel salim  •  http://hircus.jaiku.com/
IUCS         •  msalim at cs.indiana.edu