tmpfs port

Dennis Melentyev dennis.melentyev at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 23:04:43 PST 2009

Hi Dion,

2009/2/6 ~Dion <tenzero at iinet.net.au>:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am interested in the tmpfs porting project. To determine
> if it is a reasonable goal for me, I've been trying to do some reading on
> the subject.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on
> readings, either related to other ports of tmpfs or the
> structure of the dragonfly kernel.
>
> I have the text books, Design & Implementation of 4.4 BSD
> and Design & Implementation of FreeBSD (5.2).
>
> I have also pulled down GSOC submissions relating to the
> NetBSD port of tmpfs and the NetBSD Internals documentation.
>
> I am curious as to how much the dragonfly kernel is
> different from the freeBSD kernel with respect to things
> like virtual memory and vfs.

As far as I know, both VM and VFS layers are seriously different from
FreeBSD. They should be much more consistent in DragonFly.
Also, my knowledge comes only after lurking at this mailing list, so I
can't tell you more details.

I suppose, you've already read articles at
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/developer/. If not, it's definitely a
good choice to start with.

Good luck with your project

--