access(2) using effective uid instead of real one?

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Mon Aug 10 14:49:28 PDT 2009

Nicolas Thery wrote:
Hello,

According to man and posix, access(2) uses the real user UID instead
of the effective one.  However it looks like the functions doing the
checking (ufs_access, vop_helper_access) use the effective uid  and I
can't find anywhere where the effective uid passed to these functions
would be changed for the real one (as fbsd does).
I also wrote a small program that confirms this.

Assuming I'm not missing something, Is it intentional or a bug?
I'd say it is a bug.

cheers
  simon
--
  <3 the future  +++  RENT this banner advert  +++   ASCII Ribbon   /"\
  rock the past  +++  space for low CHF NOW!1  +++     Campaign     \ /