Source Control system results and discussion

Matthias Schmidt matthias at dragonflybsd.org
Tue Oct 28 00:46:38 PDT 2008

Hi all,

* Hasso Tepper wrote:

> At best we should provide unofficial access to the repos in other formats,
> like it is today - people using git have their mirror from cvs and people
> using mercurial using their mirror. And people really using these systems
> take care of these mirrors. Any maintenance overhead is just pointless
> for such small project. I really prefer people coding ...

I totally agree with Hasso here.  Maintaining two official SCM system
for our code base is IMO to much work for to little outcome (even if its
fully automated).  Furthermore maintaining the repos will consume time
of developers, so they stop coding ...

Not to forget:  If we have two official SCMs we have to answer questions
about the handling/installation/$whatever on the lists for two systems.
Sure, we can add some entries to a FAQ, but if I look at our current
documentation effort, it is unlikely that somebody will take care of
this :)

My personal conclusion: 2 SCMs => 2x work (and I don't think the
benefit is doubled).

Regards

	Matthias