HAMMER cleanup

Oliver Fromme check+k971m800rspj5ba8 at fromme.com
Thu Oct 23 07:00:50 PDT 2008

Thomas Nikolajsen <thomas.nikolajsen at mail.dk> wrote:
 > Anyway I think we should be able to choose *one* default cleanup strategy;
 > newbies won't have to worry and expert users will disable default and
 > impelment their own strategy anyway.

Definitely.

A simple yet versatile default strategy would be to run
the cleanup in a nightly cronjob which stores the current
date+time in a file somewhere.  Additionally, upon system
boot a job is started in the background that first sleeps
for half an hour (to avoid heavy I/O right after boot),
then it checks the above mentioned file.  If there was no
cleanup the previous night, it starts one right away.  A
similar check could be done when waking up from suspend.

That strategy would suit servers (up 24h/d) as well as
desktops or laptops that don't usually run at night.

Of course, as you pointed out, there should be a way for
expert users to disable the default and implement their
own strategy.

Best regards
   Oliver