Wireless slowdowns

Petr Janda elekktretterr at exemail.com.au
Wed Oct 22 17:38:21 PDT 2008

Hi there,
Ive been experiencing slow downs on my workstation wireless on DragonFly and
FreeBSD (freebsd is even worse at this). Basically it runs at crawling speed
although the apprent speed is 18MB right now.

ath0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::20f:b5ff:fefa:9196%ath0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
        inet 192.168.1.50 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
        ether 00:0f:b5:fa:91:96
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (OFDM/18Mbps)
        status: associated
        ssid homenetwork channel 11 bssid 00:19:db:0a:39:e6
        authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpowmax 37 bmiss 7 protmode CTS burst
        bintval 100

Interestingly my laptop which also has an atheros chip doesnt experience any
slow downs neither in DragonFly or FreeBSD. When I reboot my workstation to
Windows XP it works absolutelty flawlessly. I know Ive had this issue before
and Sephe made me a patch which improved it but it still is not perfect and
lately its been really bugging me especially when Im sshing to my server next
door to do my job and it keeps slowing down to crawl, and then speeding up
and slow down and it goes like this forever.

What kind of tcpdumps and debugging would you like to help you find the
problem?

Cheers,
Petr