Interrupt routing and friends ...

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Sun Nov 9 06:36:13 PST 2008

rg> <20081109131723.GB11781 at britannica.bec.de>

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 12:23:31PM +0800, Bill Hacker wrote:
>> - taking the all-too-ubiquitous Intel ICH7 thru 9 family - (Tyan, Asus,
>> GigaByte Core-D/Core-2 MB), FreeBSD had been erratic to the point of
>> requiring either staying with older releases AND NOT 'STABLE', OR
>> disconnecting from that onboard chipset and moving the drives to
>> SiliconImage add-on controllers. Both PATA and SATA drives.
>
> That sounds more like a bug in the ATA code and not the interrupt
> routing.

ACK. T'would certainly seem so - but IIRC that is not where the fix was
needed.  Been over a year since I still cared much, so stale info now...

>> - Likewise a period where there were problems introduced w/r Broadcom
>> GigE NIC chipsets that had not been problematic in earlier versions.
>>
>> - parallel port drivers that did not work were not on our radar
>> (rackmount servers..)
>
> Same for both.
>
> Joerg

Parport was a one-off. Had been broken for a longish time.

Broadcom NIC's had worked in 6-PRE thru 6.2 REL, then been broken.

Bit of good news, OTOH.

As of an hour or two ago, - 8-CURRENT has loaded on a 'white bread'
Lenovo 3000 G400 and is using everything but the WiFi and modem.

I still have a slice left, so will go off and see if DragonFly likes
that machine....