Boot Dragonfly BSD from USB CDROM

Damian Lubosch dl at xiqit.de
Mon May 26 08:34:51 PDT 2008

Hello!

I have troubles installing Dragonfly BSD from a "simulated" USB-CDROM
drive. I need to install the system on a remote machine which has a
remote management extension card from Peppercon named Eric. This card is
able to simulate an USB CDROM over network (samba) to the underlying OS,
and I hadn't any problems in installing NetBSD or FreeBSD before.

When I try the new Dragonfly Release 1.12.2 I get this error:

no disk named 'acd0a' (and other cd0 derivates)
setrootbyname failed
iso_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mount fialed: 6
Manual root filesystem specificatation:
(etc)
mountroot> _

Well, I tried using cd9660:[/dev/da0 | /dev/da0a | /dev/da0d | without
/dev/ etc.] but I cannot make it boot.
In the archives I found one message from Miguel Mendez (11.01.2004
11:54) who proposed using a freebsd install cd and to use the fixit
option, but it doesn't recognize the DFly image either.

Does anybody has some tips how I can install DragonFly BSD on this machine?

BTW: I noticed that the CD-Loader version on DragonFly is 1.01, the one
of FreeBSD 8 is 1.2, could this be the reason why it fails? Is it
possible for somebody to update it?

Have a nice day!
Damian