pkgbox disk issue

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon May 19 09:53:24 PDT 2008

:On Mon, 19 May 2008 08:18:32 -0700 (PDT)
:Matthew Dillon <dillon at apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
:
:>     it wasn't visible after a normal reboot but was after a power
:> cycle.
:
:Sounds like a failing PSU.
:
:--
:Gergo Szakal MD <bastyaelvtars at gmail.com>

    It's possible.  It is a Xpc cube with two SATA drives in it.  I've had
    PSUs fail in those things before.

    Another possibility is that the disk simply overheated and went into
    thermal shutdown.  It's kinda sandwiched in there and the fan control
    was set to lowest-noise mode (based on cpu temperature).  There may
    have simply been insufficient airflow.

    In anycase, I bumped the fan to 100% and we'll see what happens.  If
    it fails again I will move the /build drive to an external SATA
    enclosure.

					<dillon at backplane.com>