sockbuf (was Re: BGL-free net stack)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon May 5 11:38:17 PDT 2008

:...
:so_oobmark will require some changes. At this point I'm inclined to start
:going through all users and updating them to use the new sockbuf and see if
:any real problems crop up. If anyone can see a fundamental problem or has a
:better approach to suggest, please speak up now, so that I won't waste time
:with a suboptimal/flawed approach.
:
:I should also mention that I'm only interested in IPv4 TCP and UDP. The other
:protocols can stay under the BGL for now.
:
:Of course the sockbuf isn't the only issue I've busied myself with the past
:couple of weeks, but it is one of the more interesting shared data
:structures. Hopefully I'll get around to starting a discussion on inpcbs and
:tcpcbs soon.
:
:Aggelos

    I think that's an excellent analysis, and working on the (user<->protocol)
    sockbuf side of things is a really good fit because Sepherosa has been
    working on the (protocol<->interface) network side of things.

					<dillon at backplane.com>