Pre-Alpha patch for a LiveCD with GUI... What next?

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Thu Mar 6 05:34:14 PST 2008

Hi all,

this is probably as good a moment as any to come out of the forest with
this. The patch at

http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~swildner/nrelease_gui.diff

adds some code to nrelease/ to build a LiveCD with xorg and so on
(currently, only the xorg metapackages and fluxbox are added). In order
to build one, you need a local dir with the pkgsrc binary packages (see
below).

The following commands should then do the trick:

cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make buildkernel
cd nrelease
patch -p 0 </path/to/the/patch
make PKGSRC_PKG_PATH=/path/to/packages/dir/All realquick gui
The resulting ISO will be in /usr/release/dfly-gui.iso then. It will not
boot into xorg automatically (although this is easily possible), so you
need to login as root and do startx.

As of now, this all is kind of basic, more a proof of concept than
anything else. As our release framework installs packages via chroot,
the current setup just copies _all_ packages to the chroot before
installing (kind of a hack).

That said, I'm now primarily interested in opinions/ideas/... about the
direction this should take. Which packages would we like to see on the
CD? Should it be a generic setup with the "most common things"
installed, so a system can be quickly setup by the installer (which will
cpdup /usr/pkg). Or should it be a more specialized set of tools? Or
even as many packages as possible (Live DVD?). Etc., etc.

Before continuing on it, I'm really interested in people's input so
don't hold anything back, please. :)

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx