migrating proc from zone to objcache

Nicolas Thery nthery at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 12:17:03 PDT 2008

2008/3/31, Jeffrey Hsu <hsu at dragonflybsd.org>:
> The object cache is not a general-purpose memory allocator.  It's a cache of
>  pre-initialized objects.  Are the significant portions of the proc structure
>  that can be restored to initialized state on object puts?  If not, it's best
>  to just use a general-purpose memory allocator.

Well, I haven't checked this yet.  I planned to do this in a second
step after getting rid of zones.

I thought that even without  the pre-initialization part, objcache has
the advantage
of pre-allocating set of objects (as zones) and is additionally
mp-safe (contrary to zones and, granted, as malloc()).   The latter
may be interesting as we talk of improving MP support.

Cheers,
Nicolas