User API still a goal?

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Wed Jun 4 01:30:59 PDT 2008

Petr Janda wrote:
    Right now my personal push is HAMMER, for the 2.0 release, and then
    HAMMER replication (some time after 2.0), and then moving on to the
    main clustering goal.
Is there also time somewhere to update the APIC stuff from Free so that my and
other people's laptops work in SMP mode? (ie. we get no local apic) I
remember you were talking about updating it.
Yeah, I was working on that (or at least tried that), because SMP
doesn't work on my laptop as well. I know where it is located
(c32/i386/mp_machdep.c and machdep.c), and what the problem is.  The
CPUs and LAPICs needs to be enumerated by ACPI, because no MP Table is
found in the BIOS. The problem is, that the code somewhat depends on
having a MP table so it's not that easy.
But, good to know that others are seeing those problems, so I try to
continue to work on it.
Regards,

  Michael