netgraph7 - not for release

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Jun 26 23:40:40 PDT 2008

:  >  FreeBSD has moved most of their ppp, atm, pppoe, and other features
:  >  to netgraph and ours are pretty decrepit so getting this working
:  >  post-release will be a big benefit to our network stack.
:
:I'm on record as saying I think we should axe netgraph completely,
:rather than updating it.  NetBSD and OpenBSD do no have netgraph
:and they have working ppp, pppoe, and atm, so clearly netgraph is
:not required for ppp, pppoe, and atm.  In fact, the big problem
:I have with having netgraph in our system is then unsuspecting
:newbies might think they have to use it to do their networking work.
:I've never met anyone who tried to used netgraph who didn't curse its
:very existence.
:
:							Jeffrey

     Well, netgraph is a big black box to me too but it is also
     compartmentalized very well and rather easy to port.  The APIs are
     not moving targets and porting netgraph means we can use all the
     various utilities that work under it, such as mpd.

     Ok, I do have an ulterior motive here.  I would like DFly to
     support mpd.

     In anycase, regardless of all of that, just from looking at it I
     can see that it has one other bright spot, which is that it does
     not interfere with the any of the *REST* of our networking code.

					<dillon at backplane.com>