dispatch most functionality of ether_input to protocol threads

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Jun 22 10:06:06 PDT 2008

:Hi,
:
:Following patch dispatch most ether_input functionality to protocol threads:
:http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/ether_input2.diff
:
:...
:
:I have done some tests with em.  Bridge and normal operation works
:with the patch.  Hopefully, I could adapt vlan and fastforwarding
:before this release.  After this release, I plan to switch ether_input
:to use ether_input_chain2 in this patch and move on to parallelize
:ipfw.
:
:Since the new code is not built by default, I want to commit it soon,
:if no one objects.
:
:Best Regards,
:sephe
:
:--
:Live Free or Die

    It looks good.  I agree we need to cut down the abstraction a bit
    in that area.  We definitely want to just figure out the cpu and get
    the packet onto that cpu ASAP.

    We need to be careful about the 2.0 release.  This coming week is
    the last full week we have to do any really major surgery on the kernel.
    I want us to have a good two weeks in July for testing leading up to
    the release.

					<dillon at backplane.com>