HAMMER Update 06-July-2008 - new PDF document

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Jul 6 23:56:39 PDT 2008

    Here's another update!

    First, there's a new rev of the Hammer document available.  I added
    a section of data integrity and rewrote the section on mirroring
    now that the implementation is mostly done:

	http://apollo.backplane.com/DFlyMisc/hammer01.pdf

    Mirroring support is 90% done.  It is not quite ready for testing yet,
    though you are welcome to mess around with the hammer utility's
    pfs-status, pfs-create, pfs-update, and mirror-copy directives if you
    want :-).  The -c cycle-file option can be usde with mirror-copy
    for incremental updates.  Backup any important data and a newfs_hammer
    is recommended before messing with the mirroring features.
    You have been warned!

    I still have a few odds and ends to do including making it work
    with no-history masters and adding a pfs-destroy directive to clean
    out a PFS (rm -rf won't completely do it, even if you switch the PDF
    to master mode).  The technical issues are all described in the PDF.
    I expect to get most these odds and ends done on Monday and Tuesday.

    --

    Currently there is a known bug related to full filesystems.  I'm still
    working on that one.  I am re-running all the major FS tests as we speak