objcache depot not used?

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Sun Jan 27 10:11:03 PST 2008

Nicolas Thery wrote:
When an objcache is created, a pair of magazines is created for each
cpu (with mag_alloc()) and tied to each per-cpu cache.  The depot is
initially empty.  I can't find any other call to mag_alloc() and AFAIU
per-cpu caches always have 2 magazines. I therefore suppose that the
depot stays empty and is never used.
is it intentional?
I doubt.  The object cache lacks certain things the bonwick 2001 paper had
(like dynamic magazine sizes, full or empty magazines only in the depot,
allocation of empty magazines on demand).  We should write it properly at
some point.  It just never was pressing enough.

cheers
  simon