Naive HAMMER question

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Tue Jan 15 15:55:29 PST 2008

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:51:30PM +0000, Bill Hacker wrote:
Note - page down - that most 'modern' fs allow a directory name to include:

'any valid byte but null'
Technically this is a bit more restricted, e.g. '/' is normally not
allowed on Unix :-)
Joerg
Technically it is 'allowed' - essential even - just restricted to
specialty use, hence my comment that the cited webpage was imperfect.

Note that the entries for *some* fs do list the oblique character (and
others) as proscribed, but that most of those we use on any form of *n*x
do not. I agree they should do - at least with qualifiers.

Ex: - is ntfs (just) more restrictive than UFS - or simply more
accurately described on that webpage?

;-)

Bill