Naive HAMMER question

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Jan 14 07:58:31 PST 2008

:Hello Matt,
:
:Just had a fight with ext3fs/FreeBSD/Win2K running on the same
:computer with not-fully-cp866-compliant Ukrainian filenames.
:The problem is old enough and several approaches are known, most of
:them are local fs oriented (like "just use the same charset
:everywhere"). But HAMMER is network/cluster/multisystem oriented, so
:different charsets are in use on different nodes, or even different
:users requires different charsets at the same time even locally.
:
:So, answer please these couple of questions:
:
:1. Will HAMMER carry any charset/language info for non-ASCII filenames?
:2. Will it map on-disk names to user-defined charset in any way?
:
:I'd preffer having UTF8 names on-disk (at least it will work for me
:and most of other people, I think).
:Upper layers could specify their one-byte charsets if needed and
:provide names translation on their own.
:
:Your vision?
:
:PS. I'm not an expert on FS/i18n issues.
:--
:Dennis Melentyev

    My personal opinion is that the kernel should be responsible for
    filename translation rather than the filesystem.  HAMMER just sees
    a character string, it doesn't know or care what format it is in.

    Ultimately I think UTF8 has to be used for maximum compatibility.
    The issue is not specifically addressed in DragonFly (UTF8 is kinda
    a cop-out but I still think its better then using UTF16 or UTF32).

					<dillon at backplane.com>