HAMMER update 23-Feb-2008

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Feb 25 07:56:19 PST 2008

:Hi Matt,
:Running latest kernel and utils, i successfully created the file system but
:when when i run mount_hammer /dev/ad4s3h /mnt/hammer I get a panic:
:
:panic: assertion: (node offset & HAMMER_OFF_ZONE_MASK) == HAMMER_ZONE_BTREE in
:hammer_get_node
:
:Petr

    I think the only way this can happen at mount time is if the utilities
    are out of sync with the kernel.

    Make sure sbin/hammer, sbin/newfs_hammer and sbin/mount_hammer are all
    recompiled whenever you recompile the kernel, if you want to play
    with HAMMER.

    I will also add this note to anyone testing HAMMER: The on-disk
    structures are still undergoing significant work and for testing
    purposes you really have to newfs_hammer after each committed change.
    It will become more stable once I'm through with the major on-disk
    infrastructure elements - I've almost gotten there, but not quite yet.
    It should stabilize after the UNDO code is done.

					<dillon at backplane.com>