HAMMER update 06-Feb-2008

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Feb 7 12:03:40 PST 2008

:Now combine that with 64bit block idents and you have a "quasi infinte=20
:FIFO" :)
:
:cheers
:   simon

    Yup.  It turned out to be surprisingly easy to replace the cluster stuff
    with the FIFO and change the B-Tree to use full 64 bit offsets.
    Amazingly easy, I'll be able to commit the major surgery tonight (it
    already works except for the cleaning code and the undo records).  I
    added a hammer_off_t type which is broken down like this:

    [vol_no:8][sanity:1][offset:55]	(sanity bit is always 1 to catch
					 programming errors).

    That allows 32768 TB per volume.  I will probably steal a few more bits
    to abstract out a blockmap layer, but I can't imagine needing more then
    another 7 bits, giving us 256 TB per volume (x 256 volumes == 65536 TB).

    I've already learned a few things.  With my first FIFO implementation,
    where I am currently just laying things down willy nilly so data,
    B-Tree nodes, and records are all mixed together linearly, My
    'rm -rf /mnt' runs are a lot slower then before due to the lack of
    locality of reference in the B-Tree and record headers.

    My preliminary work on the cleaning code shows some performance
    issues too, primarily the fact that when a node or record must be
    moved from one location to another, all the related linkages (B-Tree
    and record linkages) have to be adjusted as well.  This argues for
    using a 'named block' mechanic and having the FIFO be a blockmap of
    named blocks.  That way whole named blocks can be moved from the
    front of the FIFO to the end without modification if they otherwise
    do not need to be cleaned.

    Multiple virtualized FIFOs may be the answer to the locality of
    reference issue.  One FIFO for records, one for B-Tree nodes, and
    one for DATA.  Unlike the cluster mechanic, the indexes for a limited
    number of virtualized FIFOs can all be atomically updated in a single
    write of the volume header.

    We have plenty of bits in the 64 bit hammer offset to abstract out
    both named blocks and virtualized fifos.

    I'm already a lot happier with the FIFO mechanic then I was with the
    cluster mechanic.  It's pretty clear to me now that not only do we
    want to use the FIFO mechanic, but we also want to use named blocks
    and move those around instead of shifting the actual data, and
    we definitely want more then one FIFO.

    The really, really cool thing about this is that I can finish the
    user-visible feature work and have the only bad thing be the known
    performance issues, then work on the performance issues as a separate
    task.

					<dillon at backplane.com>