heads up: pkgsrc binary archive changes, pkgbox upgrade

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Feb 21 20:38:51 PST 2008

I'm making changes to the pkgsrc binary archive on pkgbox.dragonflybsd.org:

Taken from corecode's excellent suggestion:
> packages/
>   DragonFly-1.10/
>     stable -> pkgsrc-2007q4
>     pkgsrc-2007q3/
>       i386/
>         All/
>   DragonFly-1.12/
>     stable -> pkgsrc-2007q4
>     pkgsrc-2007q4/
>       i386/
>         All/

The end result is that you follow the stable dir to always get the latest
packages for your release, and follow a given quarterly release folder if
you want to stick with a given release.  This gives us a smooth transition
if and when pkgsrc quarterly release happen inbetween and around DragonFly
releases.

(Matthias - the stable/ link should work for pkg_search and pkg_radd,
which I know you were going to change.)

I'm creating hardlinks from the existing location to the correct quarterly
release dir, so traffic to mirrors shouldn't be too bad, and the original
location of the files can be deleted "soon".

Also: unless someone objects, I'm going to update pkgbox to the 1.12
branch, just so that I can get a start on building packages for that
release.  Mr. Reed - when is a good time for me to do this that won't
interfere with your builds?