Struggling with VirtualBox

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Wed Dec 3 12:12:58 PST 2008

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008, Michael Neumann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm still trying to get DragonFly reliably working on VirtualBox (just because
> Qemu on my Ubuntu doesn't like to run with the
> accelerator kqemu)...

It would certainly be nice to get it working, but if all you want to do
is run dragonfly then you can use kvm instead of qemu.  The "kqemu" module
is now part of the linux kernel, named either kvm-intel or kvm-amd depending
on your hardware.  The one caveat is that to benefit from the kernel module
your CPU must have the hardware virtualization extensions.  Just like qemu
(which is what kvm actually is) you can use it without the kernel module
but it will run slower. I'm installing dragonfly right now using kvm :o)