[netmp] socket accesses

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Aug 17 16:25:25 PDT 2008

:I'm not sure what the protocol thread would have to do in this case. Isn't it
:enough to just have it set the relevant flag in response to the message?
:
:Aggelos

    I greped through all the uses of SS_CANTRCVMORE.  Nearly all uses
    are on the user side and not on the protocol side.  In fact, the
    only protocol-side use, other then setting the flag and waking up
    any blocked readers, is in the TCP stack where it looks like it
    simply uses the flag to determine whether to append new mbufs onto
    the sockbuf or to simply free them.

    It looks to me that the user side can just set the flag w/ an atomic
    instruction.

    Another alternative is to create a user-side flag set and a protocol-side
    flag set, so userland can set flags without using atomic instructions,
    and the protocol side would check both flags (A|B).  That seems more
    complex though.

					<dillon at backplane.com>