RCS Discussion

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Fri Aug 8 04:23:30 PDT 2008

On Fri, August 8, 2008 04:22, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> I meant to type this earlier: a requirement of whatever RCS system we may
>  move to would be to enable non-developers to easily check out the code
> to rebuild their system.

Absolutely.  I'd like to take this a step further:  Mailing patches and
explaining users how to apply the patch ("first revert patch #3, then
apply this, then apply patch #3a") is bothersome.  I'd like to be able to
push my changes somewhere (like on a leaf "official private repo") and
have people pull the changes from there.

> This would mean anonymous access and having the utility as part of base.
> There may be a better strategy; I'm thinking in terms of the functionality
>  we use now with CVS and cvsup.

I absolutely do not think that the tool has to be part of base.  cvsup is
not part of base either.  An existing pkgsrc binary package on the iso
shoud suffice.

cheers
  simon