src and pkgsrc (Was: RCS Discussion)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Aug 9 09:47:07 PDT 2008

    I personally think including pkgsrc sources in the base CD release is
    a waste of time.  It becomes outdated so quickly that it is close to
    worthless.

    What would be worthwhile would be including it in a base DVD release
    (aka SOC project), along with pre-built binary packages that match
    the sources, plus a rc.conf-controlled cron job to keep the sources
    up-to-date.

    Distribution of such a DVD release is more problematic.  I do have colo
    space but I had to RMA the server box due to it being unstable (I tried
    it w/ two OS's and it corrupted & paniced both after a short while).
    I hope to have it working within a month and will have at least 5 MBits
    of bandwidth to play with.  We should also consider making the DVD
    release commercially-available, e.g. have a 2-disk set (CD+DVD).

					<dillon at backplane.com>