Which threading lib is it?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Apr 21 09:32:58 PDT 2008

:At some point, are we going to want to remove libc_r as part of the
:upgrade process?  (I'm assuming that's going to force recompilation of
:many 3rd-party apps).  I can imagine it can make troubleshooting more
:difficult if we're going to have some people with libc_r and libthread_xu
:and it won't have been a conscious decision in either case.

    Well, we have libpthread.so which is what all recently compiled programs
    should be linked against, so no new builds will ever be directly linked
    to libc_r any more (or shouldn't be).  This means we can simply relink
    libpthread.so to libthread_xu (i.e. have 'make upgrade' do that),
    declare libc_r deprecated, and stop building and installing it.

    Doing that now, in HEAD, might be a good idea.

    We don't actually have to physically remove any existing installed libc_r
    from the system...  no reason to break backwards compatibility with
    really old binaries, at least not for another few releases.

					<dillon at backplane.com>