FairQ ALTQ for PF - Patch #2

Cédric Berger cedric at berger.to
Mon Apr 7 06:09:58 PDT 2008

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:...
:could even do modulate state or synproxy state as long as you see the
:initial SYN.  If not, you fall back to creating a reduced state.  This
:option would, of course, also have a setting where it would always just
:create a reduced state and be done with it.
:
:As for the name ... maybe, 'extra-tcp-state' with a possible setting
:of 'on' (default), 'off' and 'force-off' or something like that.  This
:could also be a global setting similar to the timeouts which can also be
:set on a per-rule basis.
:
:\ /  Max Laier                          | ICQ #67774661

    I came across an interesting item.  I believe (but I'm not entirely
    sure if I am correct) that NetBSD implies S/SA for TCP keep
    state and it no longer needs to be specified in the rule.  Is this
    correct?
Yes, quoting http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/filter.html:

In OpenBSD 4.1 and later, the default flags S/SA are applied to all TCP
filter rules.
Since OpenBSD 4.1, "keep state" is also the default.

Cedric